Men can be so stubborn on certain aspects like shopping, going to a hindi movie and eating oats. Now adding to the list is Rajma i.e. Kidney beans, a major no no for Hubby.
Even the famous famous rajma chawal couldn't make him like the red bean and the a sulking face at the dining table makes me go nuts. Just FYI gentlemen, Kidney beans/ rajma are rich in proteins , irons, act like energy booster, prevents bad cholesterol and many more. But no he just wont eat, So I find a better way. Smash the beans into a batter , add aromatics and form a savoury pancake served with spicy tangy chutney. And this he eats, things-we-wives-need-to-do!!
Ingredients: Serves 2
- 100 gms kidney beans/Rajma: soaked in water for minimum 4-5 hour.
- 1/2 tbsp: Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp: Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon: Asafoetida/Hing powder
- 1 tbsp: Coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- For tempering:
- 1-2 Tbsp: Oil
- 1 tbsp: Jeera
- pinch of Asafoetida
- Chilli flakes or freshly chopped chillies (optional)
- Soak the rajma beans for over 4 -5 hours and then process them in a blender into a fine paste.
- Get it out in a bowl and add the aromatics, give it a good mix.
- Heat the oil in a tempering vessel and add in jeera and hing.
- Add the sizzling tempering to the rajma batter and mix well.
- Next, ladle out spoonful of the mixture on the greased hot pan.
- Let it cook on one side with the pan lid covered for a minute then flip and cook on the other side.
- Rajma is a tough bean hence don't be in a haste to pull it out of the pan, let it cook thoroughly.
- Then wait no longer, serve with pudina chutney.
|Blend in a sturdy mixer. Add water as required.|
|Pour the batter in a bowl|
|Mint, Spice box and the rajma batter|
|Adding the aromatics|
|Tempering of Jeera and Hing|
|Add the tempering to the batter.|
|Heat a pan and grease it with oil or butter as per your preference.|
|Ladle out spoonful of batter|
|Let it cook on one side|
|Cover the pan for a minute or more|
|Flip and continue to cook for another 3 - 4 mins.|
|Rajma Dosa ready to eat.|