Jungle Rice Fast Dosa
Last Month was also about the fasts ( श्रावणी सोमवार , शनिवार , कृष्ण जन्माष्टमी along with the usuals संकष्टी , एकादशी ) and the later half of this month will also be as Navratri approaches. Devotees fast for complete nine days. Some do it without food/water while some relish on the fast food, I mean, the food meant to be consumed during fast. सात्विक आहार / Satvik ahar which means pure food.
Enjoy you Fast Dosa with Coconut & Peanut Chutney with a hot Ginger Tea.
Samo Rice aka Jungle rice aka Varicha Tandul (वरीचा तांदूळ)is an ingredient famous during the fasting season. It is used in many fasting food recipes. I use it to make my Fast Dosa. I name it so cause it is eaten on a fasting day and is pretty fast to make.
I serve this with a Coco-Pea-Nut Chutney ;)
Ingredients: For Coconut & Peanut Chutney
- Half Coconut Grated
- Green Chillies: 2-3 depending on your spice tolerance
- Coriander: as much as you like I don't want the typical Green Chutney look hence I use bit less.
- Curry leaves: 3-4
- Groundnuts: Roasted, De-skinned & Grounded. Grounded powder - 2 tbsp
- Curd: 1 tbsp
- Salt & Sugar: For seasoning
- Cumin Seeds & Oil: For Tempering (Optional)
- Grind all the above ingredients except for oil & Cumin seeds.
- Take the chutney into a bowl.
- Then heat up the a table spoon of oil in a tempering vessel add cumin seeds. Let them sizzle. Pour out the sizzling seeds on the cutney.
|Base ingredients of the Coconut Chutney. Add seasoning, peanuts & curd.|
|Tip: If you don't want to temper you can dip in the dosa in the chutney right away.|
|Tempering Cumin Seeds aka Jeera|
|Coco-Pea-Nut Chutney ready for the Dosa|
Ingredients: For Samo Rice Dosa
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 1 Dosa = 2/3 mins
- Samo Rice: 2 Cups
- Water: Hot Boiling for soaking
- Curd: 2-3 tbsp
- Salt: Seasoning
- Soak the Samo Rice for half hour by pouring hot boiling water. Hot boiling water breaks into the stern rice granules.
- After half hour, grind the jungle rice with some water and curd.
- Process till it gets into a dosa batter like consistency.
- Heat the non-stick pan and grease it with some oil or ghee.
- Batter out the dosa into a round shape after the pan is sizzling hot.
- Cover the dosa for a minute.
- Flip and crisp out on both ends.
- Serve with chutney & hot ginger tea.
|Samo Rice or Jungle Rice or Vari Rice|
|Jungle Rice in Hot water bath.|
|Tip: Samo Rice is hard to break hence must be soaked minimum of 30 mins.|
|Tip: Grind till the varmo rice dissolves|
|Tip: Curd or Yoghurt play the crucial role in getting right consistency hence use a tangy thick curd.|
|Tip: Adjust the consistency with curd & water. Add Salt & start making the dosas|
|Tip: Small dosa are fast to cook, easy to handle & look adorable.|
|Tip: Make sure both sides are crisped well.|
|Tip: If not calorie conscious then drizzle Desi Ghee.|
|Him's_Kitchen: Fast Dosa|